Where We Stand on the Issues
Click one of the topics below to learn more about our stances on major issues.
We are committed to providing high quality, accessible, affordable health care to all Oklahomans.
We will work to:
- Support the continuation and expansion of the Affordable Care Act.
- Protect and expand access to health care in rural and economically depressed communities.
- Treat drug, alcohol and gambling addiction as a health problem rather than as a criminal problem.
- Support legislation allowing medical marijuana with a doctor's recommendation.
- Encourage the state of Oklahoma to accept federal funds for Medicaid expansion.
- Encourage citizens to increase personal responsibility for their own health, to reduce the use of tobacco, and to fight diabetes and obesity.
- Support programs to reduce the number of teen pregnancies and social diseases.
In view of the historical success of social security in providing for a minimal level of quality of life for our senior citizens, we support maintaining and improving the funding integrity of social security. We oppose any efforts to privatize the funding sources of the Social Security Administration.
We believe that public education is one of the critical democratic institutions. A quality equitable education is an investment in our future economy, prosperity and democracy.
We support all levels of public education from pre-school to higher education for all learners with funded expansions for early childhood and Head Start programs.
We urge our legislators to invest in public education by increasing teacher pay and benefits, by rewarding great teachers and retaining good teachers, by increasing per pupil expenditures and by providing money for schools infrastructure.
Oklahoma must financially support its educational standards in order to remain competitive in the labor market. This must not be an unfunded mandate.
We support a fiscally sound Oklahoma Teachers Retirement System.
We urge the State Board of Education to make carefully researched positive and productive changes in its policies, programs and mandates.
We encourage curriculums that promote critical thinking, decision-making, and creativity.
We encourage schools to promote STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) curriculums at all levels for all students.
We support teachers involvement in textbook selection to include scientifically and historically accurate information for Oklahoma schools.
We support continued federal and state financial support for public broadcasting to insure an informed public.
Workers deserve a fair, competitive wage. Only by ensuring that workers are paid a living wage can we grow our economy, increase productivity, and protect a middle-class quality of life.
We support the right of workers in both private and public sectors to bargain collectively for better wages, working conditions and a voice at work.
We support adequate levels of revenue, which includes no reduction in the state income tax, to support the critical funding needs of Oklahoma.
We support raising the minimum wage in Oklahoma to a living wage.
We encourage the state government to place a high priority on funding, building, and maintaining all roads, bridges, dams, water systems and other public infrastructure.
We support the expansion of mass transit and public transportation in urban Oklahoma.
We encourage the state government to facilitate extending broadband internet access in rural areas.
As there exists a need to create additional demand for renewable energy; and more market demand will encourage the development of more renewable energy production; and
As 30 states and the District of Columbia have enforceable renewable energy/electricity standards (RES) or a renewable portfolio standard (RPS) that require electricity producers within a given jurisdiction to supply a certain minimum share of their electricity from designated renewable resources; and
As these renewable resources include wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, landfill gas, municipal solid waste, and some hydro-electrical;
Therefore, we support:
- The creation of a renewable energy standard (RES) setting a minimum requirement for the share of electricity to be supplied from renewable energy sources by a specific date and year.
- Establishment of a renewable energy credit (REC) trading system structure to minimize cost of compliance by allowing a producer who generates more renewable energy than required to meets its RES obligation may either trade or sell REC's to other electricity suppliers who may not have enough RES eligible electricity to meet their requirement.
- We encourage consideration of scientific information when it is central to public policy matters. We support integrating the best available data when developing public policy.
Knowing that the amount and pace of hydraulic fracturing activities has significantly increased in the drilling activities in the state of Oklahoma, we propose and support the creation of adequate regulation and oversight of hydraulic fracturing to ensure the safety of individuals and the protection of the surrounding land, animal, and water resources.
We support municipal city councils and county commissions being legally allowed to update and pass their own regulations regarding the practices of the oil and gas industry and, in particular, all regulations regarding vertical drilling, horizontal drilling, fracturing procedures and injection wells within their respective geographical boundaries.
We oppose voting impediments, voter intimidation, voter fraud and corruption, and any politically-motivated attempt to purge voter rolls, or to limit voter registration practices.
In order to insulate judicial selection from direct partisan politics, we oppose altering the current method used to select candidates for all judicial positions.
We encourage making available online voter registration and address changes.
We believe every Oklahoman has the right to participate fully and equally in society and enjoy its benefits and freedoms, and all Oklahomans deserve equal rights and equal treatment under the law.
- Upholding the religious freedoms set forth in the First Amendment, and all efforts to defend the separation of church and state.
- Local, state, and federal laws which promote equal opportunity for all Americans by prohibiting discrimination, based on race, socioeconomic status, gender, gender identity, age, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, national origin, or disability.
- We encourage the Oklahoma Democratic Party and the Democratic National Committee to support marriage equality in their respective platforms.
We support common sense immigration reforms that are more reliable, fair and more secure than in their present form.
We support the individual's right to bear arms as established by the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States and upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States.
We support effective enforcement of existing laws, instant background checks, firearm safety training, restrictions to carrying firearms into schools, school-related settings and places of worship, limits on the size of ammunition magazines and limits on the amount of ammunition purchased on-line, and reauthorizing the assault weapons ban.
We support a judicial system where laws are followed, applied with consistency and equality, and, where appropriate, with rehabilitation, not incarceration, as the primary focus (e.g., mental health courts, drug courts). We support reforms in adjudication and sentencing procedures that allow greater judicial flexibility regarding sentences, alternative punishment options, and community or victim redress, particularly for non-violent or youthful offenders.